Sunday, November 11, 2012

Hijiki - Ultimate way of living

After spending my life in US about 24 years, I have come to an realization that after all, aging is not so bad... in fact, aging can be exciting if you discover an ultimate way of living in your best way possible.

For me, the ultimate way of living is to appreciate and cherish my heritage.

I was born at a northeastern portion of main island in Japan, where the 2011 Tsunami and earthquake attacked, where I remember a breathtaking scenery but a harsh cold climate, where I am so proud of coming from, but I can no longer call as my hometown since I have lived in US for so long and felt at home at my small duplex in Austin Texas every time I come back from Japan trip.

For me, the ultimate way of living is a lot to do with what you eat, how you eat and when you eat.

I discovered that living in my best way possible is to eat what I like when I am hungry with much appreciation and pleasure.

I feel so clear when I eat good food, and feel that every ounce of the food I ate was not wasted in my body but it makes who I am from the core of my entire being physically and mentally.

Hijiki (seaweed) is one of my super foods that I enjoy to eat once a while when I need power and energy.

Hijiki is rich in fibre and essential minerals such as calcium, iron and magnesium. Also, it aids health and beauty, and thick black lustrous hair like mine!



Hijiki





Ingredients:
1/2 cup dried Hijiki - such as welpac brand
Water to soak Hijiki
1/2 cup julienned carrots
Edamame or green beans (sliced) - or Shiitake mashroom (sliced)
1 cup Japanese soup stock (bonito fish or sea kelp, called "Dashi")
1Tbsp Sugar or less
1.5 Tbsp Soy sauce
1Tbsp Mirin (Sweet Japanese cooking rice wine)

Cooking:
  • Rinse hijiki to remove any sand.
  • Place hijiki in a bowl with water. Let soak for 15 minutes.
  • In a small saucepan, heat sesame oil over low-medium heat. Add carrots and vegetables and cook until softened.
  • Add hijiki, soup stock, mirin, and bring to a full boil.
  • Add soy sauce, and bring to a simmer.
  • Cover, lower heat and simmer gently for 10 minutes.
  • Remove cover, turn up the flame a bit and boil off most of the liquid, stirring gently as you do so.
Serve cold or hot... 

2 comments: