Friday, November 23, 2012

Miso soup - a surge of happiness

I was driving from Austin to San Antonio to join my soul mate's half sisters' Thanksgiving dinner and looking up the cloudless blue sky which spreads unlimitedly in front of me, and almost suddenly, felt a surge of happiness.

Never imagined that I was able to feel like this by just looking up the sky when driving to such occasion, because such occasion should remind me of many memories with my soul mate... the occasion that I used to joyfully ride with him. Those days, I never imagined that a life could end instantly without any preparation.

This sky I was looking up was a magic, I thought.  
Then, I realized that there was no magic in this substantial world.  
I realized that magic was in me.
And I discovered that a surge of happiness could happen even in the most unlike situation.

As I was smiling and looking up the sky, I felt that maybe I have been living all my life just for this moment. 

Here I am,  I feel an urgency to share a surge of happiness but it is a glimpse of happiness, just like Miso soup that gives me an instant joy because of its taste but I have no doubt that its nutrition is not an instant but lasts forever in my body, which could be a magic of Miso (fermented soy beans) in this substantial world.


Miso Soup



Ingredients:
3 cup Japanese soup stock (bonito fish or sea kelp, called "Dashi")
1 table spoon dried wakame seaweed
1/2 package of Tofu (or any vegetables you like)
2 table spoon Miso paste
chopped green onions

Cooking:
  • Heat up the dashi soup stock (dissolve 2 teaspoon gragules or half stick)
  • Add hard ingredients such as vegetables until tender
  • Add dried wakame seaweed and tofu
  • Take the miso in a ladle, and add a little bit of the hot stock, Mix the miso and stock together in the ladle with a chopstick until the miso is dissolved. 

  • Dissolve the miso mixture in the soup
  • Don't let it boil or the flavor will dissipate
  • Serve immediately


No comments:

Post a Comment